Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:28:30 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Releases

* Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca> [010409 16:13]:
> > * Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com> [010409 14:59]:
> > > +--- James Raftery wrote:

> The RC designation seems to be "normal".  The BETA designation does not.  Is
> there any reason why we really need a -BETA tag, or could we just go
> from -STABLE to -RC1?  I think this would be less confusing to people who
> are new to FreeBSD's scheme of things.

Yeah, fair enough.  Maybe UPDATING could be temporarily amended to
reflect the state of the code.

> [ On a related note, -CURRENT seems to suggest the wrong thing.  I've had
> the unlucky experience of recovering production boxes (!!) that previous
> admins had decided to update to -CURRENT because, hey, it must be the best
> code, right?

<boggle>

> IMHO, -CURRENT should be -DEV. That's a pretty clear
> indication that it shouldn't be run on production boxes. ]

IMHO, anybody who can cvsup but not bother to read the
'what STABLE and CURRENT are' part of the cvsup section in the Handbook
should be kept far away from production machines.
And possibly sharp objects too.
--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns