Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 02:43:34 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Thomas Gellekum <thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disallow setuid root shells?

On Feb 02, 1997 at 02:46:31PM, Thomas Gellekum wrote:
> Joe Greco wrote:
> >  (/home should
> > be at least mounted nodev,nosuid as it may be legit for users to have
> > executables and shell scripts).
>
> You can't be serious.

??

If you give them a shell account, that's what they get. Many
of our shell users have their own scripts, whether to grep the
http log to do statistical analysis of accesses to their home
pages, or do some check or other, such as seeing whether
they're on line, or mailing themselves, account statistics..
any number of things.

I'd feel somewhat cheated if I couldn't do this where I'd paid
good money for a shell account. Besides which, even if the home
partition is noexec, it is easy enough to run your own scripts
regardless, so it isn't any more "secure".

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/