Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 13:34:42 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Joe Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0-R server /var running out of inodes (not a usenet question)

>Yes, but not experienced by anyone else in my knowledge.  We were running
>3.0-R on live servers with lots of load, (web, mail, and news), and
>didn't experience this.

Fair enough.  That's why I posted the question, to find out if anyone
had seen anything like this before.

>That's why I suggested temp files.  They _would_ disappear after a
>reboot.  BTW are you running soft-updates?

No soft-updates.  Haven't gotten past the "thinking about it" stage yet.
What I'm thinking is to try it out on the news server first.

I'll add a check of /var/tmp to the cron job I'm going to set up to
watch and log free inode count over time.  Maybe it'll turn up
something.  All I know right now is there are more inodes free 28 hours
after reboot than there were immediately after reboot when only 2% were
in use.

Anyhow thanks for brain-storming on it.

-Mitch