Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 2021 19:37:11 +0100
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heat-death of the last of the 2-socket/2-cores-each PowerMac G5s that I have access to

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 17:42:09 -0800
Mark Millard via freebsd-ppc <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org> wrote:

> The last of the 4-core PowerMac G5s that I have access to now shuts
> down for "CPU B0 DIODE TEMP" that "exceeds critical temperature
> (90.0 C)" when I try to rebuild/update ports or such. The other
> 4-core G5 failed for such reasons in similar contexts a few months
> ago.,Interestingly, the two G5s have very different liquid cooling
> systems despite the similar time frame for the failures.

For conventional (ie. non-liquid cooling) systems it often helps to take off the coolers, remove old thermal paste, and apply new paste.
I haven't done this on a liquid-cooled G5, so I don't know how easy or hard it is.

If one is inclined to tinker with hardware.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no>