Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:22:47 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        Patrik Astrom <patrik@astrom.net>, Donald Burr <dburr@borg-cube.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to keep two directory trees in sync?

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:26:17 -0500  Dan Nelson wrote:
 +------------------
 | rsync is great for one-way synchronization, but doesn't do correct
 | two-way synching.  For that, you need at least one machine to hold a
 | "snapshot" listing of the other machine's files the last time they were
 | synched.  That way you know whether to copy or delete files that exist
 | on only one machine.
 |
 | I haven't seen any programs that do true n-way synchronization.

reliable peer-to-peer synch is probably not acheivable without
using something like coda. It's a network file system that supports
disconnected operation.  I have no personal experiance with it but
am interested in hearing about any experiance that others may have.

chris

--
    Chris Fedde
    303 773 9134