Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:54:51 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Subject:   Re: Dangerously Dedicated

In message <20001119094922.C66448@dragon.nuxi.com>, "David O'Brien"
writes:
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 08:56:59AM -0800, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Gro
> up wrote:
> > If/when dangerously dedicated goes away, will there be special
> > provision for Zip and Jazz disks?
>
> Why is there a need?

The only requirement I have is not to reinitialise my Zip disks, even
then I'm willing to do it again so long as I'm not forced to do it
again due to some change after that.  Under 2.0.5 & 2.1.x they had to
be dangerously dedicated, they failed to work with an fdisk and
disklabel tables on them.  Sometime during 2.2.x it stopped working and
I needed to put an fdisk style label and a disklabel style label on
them.  Under 3.0 the fdisk style partition table stopped working on Zip
disks and I reinitialised them dangerously dedicated.  I realise
changes to some SCSI disk support routines may have precipitated this,
e.g. I don't think this was intentional on anyones part.  My gripe is
having to reinitialise all of my Zip disks again.  If this is the
absolute last time that this is going to change, I have no problem with
it.  I just don't want to see something else change to force me to have
to go through this a fourth time in the future.

> > Or, will we need to put an fdisk style partition table on Zip and Jazz
> > disks, then slice them with disklabel?
>
> What is wrong with doing this now that fdisk/disklabel has been fixed to
> create proper slices?

I will wait until I have to do it and avoid reinitialising my Zip disks
until absolutely necessary.  BTW, I do not boot off them.  Of course
the zip entry in disktab will need to be changed to reflect the new
paradigm.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC