Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 22:46:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATX boards and restart after power failure

[Re: ATX m/boards that can't be made to power up without human
intervention after a power failure:]

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

> Assuming Pete McKenna's solution doesn't hold, have you thought of
> informing Tyan of your displeasure?

Already have.  They apparently hear this complaint often enough that
they have a ready-made letter apologizing for the inconvenience;
nonetheless, the suggested remedy is to switch to a Pentium II m/b
and CPU.

The subtext here seems to be that as far as Intel is concerned,
Socket 7 is dead, and AMD is positioning the K6 as a desktop/gaming
chip.  Maybe the m/b makers are even deliberately trying to migrate
servers to the more expensive (and higher margin?) Pentium II boards.
Or maybe they're just being dense.

It's a shame, because I'm not crazy about Intel patenting Slot 1, and
I'd like to support AMD just to prevent Intel hegemony, and the
Socket 7/K6 combo is *plenty* powerful enough for my current
purposes; and cost is an issue.  Sigh.

We'll definitely be trying Pete McKenna's solution; I'll drop a
brief note saying how it worked out for us.

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.