Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2000 18:53:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick@kris.kiwi-computer.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems getting DFE-650TX to work

Hello, all.

I need help getting my D-Link 650-TX PCMCIA 10/100baseT ethernet card to
work.  First a little background.  I bought the card some time ago and
installed it on a dual-boot (win98 & freebsd 3.4) system.  The card worked
great in FreeBSD after installing the PAO for 3.4, but never worked in
Windows no matter what I did.  I installed it in FreeBSD first.

The media coupler broke & since it has a lifetime warranty, I sent it in
for replacement.  They wanted the card sent in with the coupler.  When I
got the card back, after freshly re-installing Win98, the card worked great
in Windows.  However, it never worked again in FreeBSD (same
configuration).  So I upgraded to 4.1-RELEASE, but I have the exact same
results as the 3.4-RELEASE plus PAO...  Booting with the
GENERIC 4.1-RELEASE kernel, the relevant dmesg is:

pcic0: <Intel i82365> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 irq 10 on isa0
pcic0: management irq 10
pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
pccard1: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
PCCARD Memory address set to 0xd0000
Enable PC-card.

When I insert the card, I hear the dual beep, followed by the following
message on the console:

pccard: card inserted, slot 0
Sep  8 14:33:23  pccardd[49]: Card "D-Link"("DFE-650") [Fast Ethernet]
[Rev. D1] matched "D-Link" ("DFE-650") [(null)] [(null)]
ed1 at port 0x240-0x25f irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0
ed1: address 00:50:ba:73:a8:a5, type Linksys (16 bit)
Sep  8 14:33:29  pccardd[49]: ed1: D-Link (DFE-650) inserted.

It seems to have recognized the card & everything.  Before I assign
anything (inet) to the card, I do an ifconfig -a: (relevant lines, again)

ed1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 00:50:ba:73:a8:a5

I note that the correct MAC address is showing, whereas in 3.4-RELEASE w/
PAO, an incorrect address was here.  So far so good...  Now if I
"ifconfig ed1 inet 192.168.25.19 netmask 255.255.255.0" I get the
following error on the console:

Sep  8 14:36:43  /kernel.GENERIC: ed1: device timeout

This message repeats itself regularly.  If I try pinging ...25.22, my
netstat -rn output looks like:

192.168.25	link#10		UC	0	0	ed1 =>
192.168.25.22	link#10		UHRLW	0	6	ed1	15

After I eject the card, I don't hear any beep, and the route & the ifconfig
remain.  The entire time I have the card installed (after the beep), the
10/100 light on the media coupler stays on, and it obviously doesn't flash
when I ping my LAN.  The Ln/Act light does not come on at all.  It seems to
me that bsd doesn't seem to be initing the card correctly, or maybe
something in the configuration's screwed up.  Any suggestions?

I'm on a freshly-installed 4.1-RELEASE system, no changes made to
/etc/pccard.conf or anything like that.  I use the same LAN setup for both
win98 & FreeBSD, and on a remote box, there's no arp entry for my laptop
when I use FreeBSD...

P.S.  I am aware that there were (at least) two different versions of the
650-TX card, with different ROMs or chipsets or something, which then
partially explains why the first card didn't work in win98 (bad software
drivers) & why the second card isn't working in FreeBSD.  For all intents
and purposes, the card looks the same aside from the serial number & MAC
address printed on the back...

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy                     rick@kiwi-computer.com