Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 17:00:45 -0700
From:      "David E. Tweten" <tweten@frihet.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 3COM network cards..

rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com said:
>You can probably buy a new motherboard and the SMC9332 for what the
>SMC9232 would cost you.

Does that apply to a PCI/EISA motherboard-with-processor that has at least
2 PCI slots and 3 EISA slots as well as it does to PCI/ISA motherboards?
If so, I'd have to add 32 megabytes of parity memory, a PCI color graphics
adapter good for 1280x960x8 bits at 70 Hz or better, and possibly a new
450-watt power supply (P6s do require 3 volts, don't they?) to that side of
the equation too.

Now if the relationship could only hold for PCI/ISA motherboards, then it
would have to be modified to include all the previous stuff plus three PCI
SCSI-II adapters and an upgrade to a 5-PCI-slot-or-better motherboard.  Of
course, the number of PCI slots could be reduced by two by going to a PCI
wide or very wide SCSI adapter, but then I'd have to consider the cost of
disks too.

Let's see.  What would I have left?  The box, I think.  When everything is
included, it's a somewhat different question than the one you answered,
which is why I asked about the SMC9232DST in the first place.
--
David E. Tweten         | 2047-bit PGP Key fingerprint: | tweten@frihet.com
12141 Atrium Drive      |    E9 59 E7 5C 6B 88 B8 90    |    tweten@and.com