Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 2010 15:38:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Jim Pazarena <fmobile@paz.bz>, Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mouse dies when kdm is triggered

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Warren Block wrote:
 > On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Glen Barber wrote:
 >
 > > On 8/2/10 4:46 PM, Jim Pazarena wrote:
 > > > I have an AMD-64 laptop, and have 8.1-AMD64 loaded on it.
 > > >  From the CLI, the mouse (enabled thru rc.conf) seems to
 > > > work fine <altho you can't actually USE the mouse on the CLI>.
 > > > It's a touchpad mouse, Asus M70V laptop.
 > > >
 > > > When I trigger the GUI (with KDM), the appropriate login
 > > > screen loads, but the mouse is dead and so is the keyboard.
 > > >
 > > > I have to press the power button just to get the machine to
 > > > power down.
 > > >
 > > > Suggestions greatly appreciated.
 > >
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > Do you have /etc/X11/xorg.conf generated?  (It does not exist by default.)
 > >
 > > Also, have a look at the 20090123 entry of /usr/ports/UPDATING.
 >
 > 20090123 was a temporary workaround for a bug, which was corrected the next
 > day; see the 20090124 entry.
 >
 > In today's world, using AllowEmptyInput Off is asking for input problems.
 > It's the wrong way to disable hal for input device detection. AEI also hates
 > kittens and puppies and will throw garbage on your lawn.

So what's the recipe for the current RIGHT way to disable using hal and
dbus, configuring xorg.conf appropriately?  My Thinkpad T23 running
7.2-STABLE and 8.0-RELEASE systems is currently broken, or I could refer
to how I did it for them, costing quite some research pain at the time.

I'll be more or less starting again with 8.1, and sure won't be running
hal all of the time just to ease xorg configuration the once ..

cheers, Ian