Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 1995 10:43:00 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        rmallory@wiley.csusb.edu (Rob Mallory)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Arcive Viper QIC150 and tar

As Rob Mallory wrote:

> (using a 6150 tape and archive viper ((known rougue??? huh?)))

Nothing to worry about.  Only means that it gets a special treatment
inside the st driver.

> -why does it break tar?  (tar czvf /dev/nrst0 /src/X11R6 segfaults..)

I dunno if a segfault is an appropriate answer :), but at the very
least you deserve a data loss.  You're attempting to write non-blocked
data (the output of gzip) to an unbuffered device.

You can do one of the following:

	tar -cvzf - /foo /bar | dd obs=16k conv=osync of=/dev/nrst0

or

	tar -cvzf /dev/nrst0 --block-compress /foo /bar

Given the media prices, zipping the data is not the best thing to do
(IMHO).  It costs allot of CPU, risking a non-streaming tape, and in
case of a later medium error, chances to reconstruct things that are
located after the error are minimal.

(Btw., given your example above: GNU tar avoids absolute path names
in the archive by default.)

> -dump works, but dump 0budfs 126 1000 /dev/rst0 700 /dev/sd0a
>  wants to put it on two tapes! dump uf /dev/rst0 works.

What a strange option combination. ;) You really want 126-KB-records?

I'm using:

	dump [0-9]uBf {150000|250000} /dev/[n]rst0 filessys

dump normally counts in kilobyte blocks.  Theoretically, the figures
above could be somewhat larger, but dump handles the end of tape very
ungracefully, so it's better to give a `safe' number instead of having
to restart the dump command once it took 45 minutes to fill up a full
250 MB cartridge and finally failed due to an unexpected end of tape.
(Due to error recovery strategies, the actual amount of data a QIC
cartridge can hold varies from tape to tape.)

> -can I use any longer tapes reliably?

I've been using the Viper 150 now for more than two years, it's really
a solid drive.  I'm using 37 MB, 150 MB and 250 MB media (the 37 media
are old Data General tapes, i don't think you can purchase them
anywhere).  A full dump off a 800 MB /usr partition onto 4 tapes costs
some time, but once i've got the problem to restore a full /usr
partition from a two-level backup (level 0 and level 9), i know why
dump/restore is better than tar. :-) (The partition was already full
after restoring L0, but it had to replace more than 100 MB when
restoring the next level -- restore handles the deleted files
automagically!)

The Viper 150 has one annoying firmware bug^H^H^Hfeature: in order to
append files to the tape (or should i call them ``extents''?), you'll
have to ``mt fsf'' until you see the first BLANK CHECK (st0: no data).

Once i'm done with back-integrating all the st(1) functionality into
mt(1), i'll re-add the ``mt eom'' feature which allows you to skip to
the end of recorded medium with a single command.  This is handled by
the drive in a more intelligent way.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/