Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2014 19:40:18 +0100
From:      Benedict Reuschling <bcr@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-doc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org>, d@delphij.net, Warren Block <wblock@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Translations (was Re: svn commit: r43974 - head/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking)

Am 19.02.14 03:30, schrieb Warren Block:
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014, Benedict Reuschling wrote:
>
>> Another tool is textproc/po4a that Thomas Abthorpe showed me on
>> one of the hacker lounges two years ago in Canada. He set up a
>> test project for a translation into en_GB to see how these tools
>> fit our toolchain.
>>
>> He send me the following mini-howto, which I extended a bit for
>> a first commit to the german doc repo recently:
>>
>> <mini-howto> install textproc/po4a install editors/poedit #
>> optional install devel/gtranslator #optional install lokalize #
>> somewhere in kde4, too lazy to look
>>
>> To prep a new translation, inline, same directory the following
>> works. Substitute en_GB for the language of your choice.
>>
>> po4a-gettextize -f xml -m article.sgml -p article.pot # renders
>> to pot file
>
> I can use poedit to do the translation, but I always get
> article.pot:7: header field 'Project-Id-Version' still has the
> initial default value

I have this in my pot file header:

"Project-Id-Version: 1\n"
"Language: de\n"

I guess we need to fill these automatically when a new or an updated
translation is created. Maybe we could fill in some values from SVN
(revision comes to mind) or use some kind of auto-incrementing counter
for each new translated document.
These are the things we need to figure out. Another question is: do we
keep those po files holding the translated strings in our doc repo
alongside the translation? Or do only the translation projects keep
them for themselves?

> It does appear to save the translations to article.pot, this is
> something to do with catalogs.  Manually editing article.pot and
> setting "Language: \n" to "Language: en_GB\n" then complains about
> the "Project-Id-Version" line having a default value.
>
>> I put everything in the DevSummit wiki page and will start a
>> separate one with the results from the summit to continue from
>> there:
>>
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/201405DevSummit/Translation
>
> The instructions don't seem to be there.  On another page?

Well, I thought about putting them there, but decided against it as I
want the discussion to be open rather than present a solution
beforehand. Maybe someone else knows a better tool. I will demonstrate
it, but will also show the current drawbacks and what I see with my
translator hat on. The process in the mini-howto will get you started
for sure, but it is very open for improvement.

Cheers
Benedict