Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 22:26:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Stephen Fisher <lithium@cia-g.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   3c509 problem

Greetings,

I'm having a problem with a 3com 3c509 combo card.

When I stick the card in and boot up FreeBSD (2.1R) it gives the message:

	1 3C5x9 board(s) on ISA found at 0x300
	ep0: 3c5x9 at 0x300 in test mode, Erase pencil mark!
	ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
	epprobe: ignoring model ffff
	ep0 not found at 0x300

Thus no ep0 device is available for ifconfig.  I have tried two different
slots and two different 3c509 cards to no avail.  However, the weird
thing is when I put in a non combo 3c509 (Just AUI & 10BaseT ports, no
BNC) it works fine (not good when you run BNC on your network, have to
use a transciever).

I remember seeing mention of this error a while back, but could not
remember nor dig up any additional information on it.

Any ideas?

TIA,
 - Steve