Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 11:42:25 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Dennis Glatting <dennis.glatting@software-munitions.com>, freebsd-stable@frebsd.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pgm to kill 4.3 via vm

* Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> [010507 11:30] wrote:

> How about first analysing the problem in detail and
> trying to fix it after we understand the problem ?
>
> The current stage is that I've pretty much figured out
> the problem and know why the code in FreeBSD and NetBSD
> doesn't currently work (while it would have worked in
> the original Mach VM).
>
> A next stage is getting some smart people together
> and coming up with a thorough solution.
>
> "Patch first, think later" is definately not the
> attitude I'm used to seeing in the FreeBSD world,
> no matter how often you and phk have shouted this at
> me yesterday ;)

No, you're mistaking the Linux methodology with FreeBSD's.

     Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up,
     it is perfect.
     -- Linus Torvalds

In FreeBSD we submit a patch perhaps after having an N-way
conversation (*) about the problem being addressed.  The
patch is then reviewed by several people who familiar with
the subsystems in question.

If you were to submit a patch in the next hour to address this
it would be a matter of several days of load testing and review
before it would be accepted.

I'm are awaiting your patch, and I would be glad to assist you
with it if you have any questions about the vm API.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred@freebsd.org]
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"