Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 06:46:57 +1000 (Australia/ACT)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: non-random IP IDs

In some mail from Alfred Perlstein, sie said:

> * Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> [010417 10:37] wrote:

[WARNING: major digression from security ahead]

I'm not talking (just) about security here.

I'm talking about systems maintenance.

How long has your box been up ?  How many changes to the system config
have been made since then ?  If you're not there, and it reboots, will
it come up 100% functional ?  Do your computers need some amount of
preventative maintenance like internal cleaning to deal with dust build
up, etc ?  How many times do unscheduled reboots result in hardware not
spinning back up and at an inconevient time ?  Any non-trivial change to
startup (or bootup) sequence should be tested and how do you do that
without a reboot ?  Else where is the egg when that "she'll be right mate"
change fails at 9:00am on Monday morning and you've slept in ?

There is so much more to serious system admin (from your personal desktops
to mainframes) than just applying (security) patches and keeping it running
with no downtime.  Well, that is when you don't have hot-swap everything :)

None of my personal boxes have uptimes that ever exceed 6 months, even my
servers, but I have complete confidence in them rebooting and services being
restarted (modulo file system damage from an unclean shutdown).

Darren