Date:      Tue, 01 Oct 2002 22:57:49 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jesper_Blomstr=F6m?= <jesper.b@home.se>
To:        freebsd-newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Paul te Bokkel <paul@tebokkel.com>
Subject:   Re: make buildworld fails with bzip2

> You didn't say you rebooted in between.

Sorry forgot to tell you. My middle name is reboot.
I have been trying to solve this problem for the last two days and
have rebooted multiple times.

> Looks like you're using
> default tcsh, which hashes all used commands.

I was being unclear again. The ">"-sign was just my way of describing
the commands I wrote. I have tried different shells, there among BASH.

> btw, there's no danger in rebooting, since your world is being staged
> in /usr/obj and doesn't overwrite anything untill you installworld it.

The first time I tried updating my system, I just did (and went to bed):
cvsup -g -L2 supfile; cd /usr/src; make buildworld; make buildkernel;
make installworld; make installkernel

Now I know better, I should have made the steps one by one or perhaps
put a "&&" between instead of ";"

The process had stopped when installworld was being run.
It stopped with:
===> lib /libcom_err
INSTALL -C -C -o root -g wheel -m 444 libcom_err.a /usr/lib
INSTALL -C -C -o root -g wheel -m 444 libcom_err.so.2 /usr/lib
INSTALL -C -o ... com_err.3.gz /usr/share/man/man3

INSTALL: com_err.3.gz No such file or directory

ERROR CODE 71
Stop in /usr/src/lib/libcom_err

After this accident I (as I said in my first mail) have
tried running the whole process again (with cvsup and so on).

Hope that this cleared out what I´ve being doing.

Cheers, Jesper