Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2023 13:58:36 -0400
From:      Sean McBride <sean@rogue-research.com>
To:        Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD virtualization <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bhyve guests: what clock source to use?

Thanks for your reply Paul.

I guess what I'm ignorant of is: are the time sources available for the g=
uest OS to choose from the same as the host's?  i.e. are they basically p=
assed through?  Or are they emulated or altered by bhyve?

Cheers,

Sean

On 14 Oct 2023, at 22:23, Paul Vixie wrote:

> in the old days i used to have to hard wire it. now it picks the same v=
alue i used to hard code. ntpd encountered chaos with other values.

> kern.timecounter.hardware: TSC-low
>
> i don't know if this has become an urban legend since i last fought it.=

> re:
>
> Sean McBride wrote on 2023-10-11 11:28:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As part of debugging a problem I'm having, I'd like to understand:
>>
>> What clock source should bhyve guests use?  tsc? hpet? acpi_pm?  What =
are pros/cons of the choices?  Does it depend on the guest OS? (for me Fr=
eeBSD and Ubuntu)  Should it match the host?