Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 1995 12:16:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Twinchannel SCSI Adapter change

Good afternoon,

I have changed the probe order on the twin channel SCSI 2742 adapter here to
probe "b" first.

The reason is this:

1)	"A" has both internal and external connectors.
2)	"B" has only an internal connector.

You probably will want to boot from an internal disk drive, or if you do
not, you probably want to have ALL disks external.

If you boot from an internal disk, there is no reason not to use it on
channel "B".

If you have an internal and external disk setup, why not boot from "B" and
have your externals on the only available connector -- "A"?  This reduces
adapter contention and improves performance.

If the device is a single-channel one, we do not probe "B".

If there are no disks on "b", then probing it is harmless.

If the boot disk is on "B", it gets sd0() so that root mounts correctly, and
your other devices on the external bus are not affected.

This also solves impedence problems I've seen on Adaptec boards which come
up if you try to use both internal and external cabling on the same disk
channel.  I recommend AGAINST doing this for that reason if at all possible.

Anyone want these changes (move two lines) for the production code base, or
does anyone else think this is a good (or bad) idea?

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 248-8649]     | 7 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's only FULL AP Clarinet feed!