Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 100 00:35:30 +0100 (MET)
From:      Sven Brandenburg <y0002257@rzpool01.rz.tu-bs.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Difficult Task: Oracle 8i EE on FBSD?

Good evening, folks :-)

I`ve chosen the righteous path to try an installation of Oracle 8i
on FBSDs Linux mode. I know. You don`t have to say anything.
Just stop reading.
You didn`t?
Ok, here`s my question,then : Did anyone complete an installation of
Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition on FBSD? I mean -- successfully?

The problem seems to be the java installation tool ("Universal Installer").
I`ve tried a number of different jdk/jre versions, both Linux and native
FBSD (the first seems to do better). It does run, you can choose file
locations, SID, group ids and so on. But when the actual installation
should take place, java dumps core with dust, explosions and a bulk load
of error messages. It seems to have difficulties with file access,
methods like "getUnixVolumeNames" fail. I`ve tried the following combinations:
Ora 8i 8.5.0 + FBSD jdk118    complete failure
Ora 8i 8.5.0 + Linux jdk117   works better
Ora 8i 8.5.0 + Linux jdk116v5 (jdk version recommended by Oracle)
Ora 8i 8.5.0.2 + Linux jdk116v5 (which is rumored to work with Linux itself)

any ideas?

best wishes and thanks in advance (for any input including "you stupid fool" ;-)

Sven Brandenburg