Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 16:17:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        larse@isi.edu (Lars Eggert)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel i840 chipset & FreeBSD

Lars Eggert wrote,
> Does anyone have experience running FreeBSD with an Intel i840-based board?
> We're considering Dell Precision Workstation 420s for our labs, but FreeBSD
> compatibility is a must.

I've got FreeBSD running on a Precision 410. It absolutely smokes. I
was actually taken aback at how smoothly it all went (I'm more
accustomed to battling 486's with iffy hardware and wacked-out configs
from M$ OS days). The only thing that is a "problem" is the integrated
soundcard does not work... not that we have speakers or have ever
really tried to use it.

Now, the 410's have the i440BX chipset, but the systems do still have
a lot in common (the 420 has no ISA bus, mind you). I just thought it
might have some relevance.

Some URLs to compare if you are interested:

  http://support.dell.com/docs/systems/ws420/en/en_ug/specs.htm

  http://support.dell.com/docs/systems/deqkmt/en/eq_mt/TECHNICA.HTM

  http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/intel840/index.htm

  http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/440BX/