Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 10:49:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        David Raistrick <drais@wow.atlasta.net>
Cc:        Paul Khavkine <paul@colba.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Antivirus for Sendmail

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, David Raistrick wrote:

> > AVP
>
> I tried both freebsd and linux versions of AVP's scanners as of late 2001
> early 2002.  I worked with their sendmail versions as well as their
> qmail-queue replacement.  I also used their kavscanner and attempted to
> use kavdaemon.   My overall impression was "very unstable" though at this
> late date I don't have further specifics.  It's very possible that they've
> fixed some of the problems I encountered at the time.

  I've been using kavdaemon to scan 300,000 e-mails per day using Exiscan
as the connection to the MTA.  It is very stable.  kavdaemon can scan into
archives, and can scan MIME attachments without conversion, making it
quite quick.  Letting kavdaemon scan the raw messages also allows it
detect common exploits, like the IFRAME exploit for IE.  According to my
stats, kavdaemon blocks more messages with an IFRAME exploit than anything
else (I think spammers are using the IFRAME exploit to launch browsers to
their web site).

  I don't use the Kaspersky sendmail integration software, I found it too
expensive (per user licensing), while kavdeamon by itself just requires a
server license.

  And here is a big one:  no false positives.  Most people aren't aware
that we are using kavdaemon.

Tom