Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:33:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bus_space_foo and bus_dmamap_foo

<<On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:28:23 -0700, Warner Losh <imp@village.org> said:

> True.  Likely the NetBSD interface should be adopted, unless there is
> a compelling reason not to do this.

A significant problem with all of this stuff is that it pre-dates
DFR's bus code.  This is a problem because it recapitulates the bus
hierarchy which new-bus is there to construct for us.

What would be preferable would be for this mechanism to be integrated
with new-bus and the resource manager, so that when a driver requests
a resource, it automatically gets any other context necessary to
access that resource.  The resource manager already has some hooks, in
particular the r_vaddr member in struct resource, for that purpose, as
well as the entire distinction between allocating and activating a
resource.

-GAWollman