Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 1997 19:25:27 -0500
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDI and binary compatibility

At 05:36 PM 3/12/97 -0600, you wrote:
>At 05:04 PM 3/12/97 -0500, Ron Bickers wrote:
>>We are currently running multiple BSDI 2.1 and FreeBSD 2.1.7 machines.  We
>>recently received the BSDI 3.0 upgrade and I feel that it's mostly bells
>>and whistles (most of which I don't want to use anyway).
>
>Last update I got was 2.1 under the service contract and it sounds like I
>didn't miss a thing.  Especially considering the price.

I found it amazingly uninteresting myself. It took them an awful long time
to do
quite a lot of tuning. They do have that LICENSE thing now...the thing that
spurts messages at you if you have more users than you PAID for...thats
pretty useful. Luckily we're grandfathered into the unlimited users license.

And it:

- didn't work with an old ISA ide controller and CD-ROM
- computed the disk size wrong from the bios and had to be manually overridden

so much for plug and play installation!

Dennis