Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:23:14 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba on 5.0, does not appear in SMB browsers

Upgrading my ancient FreeBSD box from 4.7-stable to 5.0 wasn't terribly
successful via source upgrade and rebuild. And then an attempt from the
5.0-RELEASE CDROM using "upgrade" caused panics when playing with the
old filesystem. So I copied user data to another drive, booted the 5.0
CD, deleted all slices on the ad0 drive and recreated using the
defaults.

So far the only thing I lost in the process was my working smb.conf
file.

The network has a Genuine NT4 Server. I'd just as soon ignore it if I
may. So I have named my domain "MAINFRAME" and my FreeBSD machine is
named AndrAIa (firewall is Frisket, my NT workstation is Enzo, couldn't
resist naming the (postscript laser) printer Dot. Get it?)

The problem is that finally I have my domain visible in "Network
Neighborhood" but attempts to browse its contents, which should list
AndrAIa, fail. It used to work on prior installation which was also
Samba 2.2.7a but FreeBSD 4.7 and a now lost smb.conf.

Can not say at the moment whether or not I installed Samba from binary
package on CDROM or built from sources via port.

Configured using SWAT. This is my current smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = MAINFRAME
	netbios name = ANDRAIA
	log level = 3
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0

[public]
	comment = public
	path = /usr4/public
	guest ok = Yes

[dkelly]
	comment = dkelly
	path = /usr/home/dkelly
	read only = No
	only user = Yes

[homes]
	valid users = %S
	read only = No
	browseable = No

The testparam utility passes the above.

With log level = 3, the bulk in /var/log/log.{nmbd,smbd} is much
greater. Network neighborhood times out without creating any log entries
but from NT typing the raw IP address to "Find Computer" produces log
entries which do not make much sense to me.

Then got the idea to try connecting from MacOS X 10.2.3. Again using raw
IP address as the machine is also running NetAtalk and is listed there.
And I get farther as the Mac offers both dkelly and public shares. But
am not able to get past the authentication.

Suspect this is very simple, if only you recognize my problem. Its as
if something else on the net is answering as MAINFRAME, but that domain
wasn't listed among the other two before I starting to bring this
machine back online.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net