Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 10:06:24 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Its arrived

> My alpha loan machine just arrived!  Does anyone have a plan on how to
> start off this port?  I guess installing NetBSD would be a good start.
> Does anyone think Linux/alpha is worth looking at?

Great, really glad to hear that!  I heard from DG that his machine has
arrived also, so now if Peter and Warner would like to chime in as to
the status of their shipments, perhaps we can finally put the whole
Digital loan arrangement hassles behind us and get on with the actual
port. ;-)

Installing NetBSD would probably not be a bad idea at all, though if
you're looking for an environment from which to bootstrap your efforts
(that being why there are 2 drives in those machines with only one
actually populated :-) then you're probably best off with what you've
got installed on it right now - Digital UNIX.  DUX is a stable
development platform, it has a decent toolchain (and a compiler which
generally produces better code that gcc at present) and all the X
frobs you could possibly want (plus some you probably won't, like CDE :-).

Of course, you also don't get the source.  That's the really big
disadvantage of running DUX - you can't see what's going on under the
hood, so to speak.

I'll also admit that pure laziness largely dictated my own choice - I
looked at the NetBSD installation and thought "It's distributed as an
rz25 disk image... Hmmmm.  How very interesting.  Now where did I
leave that Digital UNIX CDROM?" :-)

Before that, I ran Red Hat Linux just to see what they were up to and
I wasn't much impressed.  You couldn't even build a working kernel
from the sources distributed with Red Hat 4.1 (something which RH
admitted to) and stability was not all that marvelous - I managed to
hang the system quite often just while playing with various X
utilities.  Getting a reasonable set of sources for RedHat installed,
after being used to our own /usr/src tree, was also a nightmare by
comparison. :)

					Jordan