Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:05:51 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
Cc:        Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>, Gilbert Gong <ggong@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu>, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD, .Net comments - any reponse to this reasoning?

Robert Clark said on Jul 10, 2001 at 22:05:38:

> Would people have an easier time fitting their minds around the
> concepts inherent in FreeBSD, if Berkely/UC/California wasn't
> such a big part of the name.
>
> Maybe having lived in CA during the Regan era has something to
> do with it for me, but BSD makes a mental image as solid as a
> cinder block, and just about as sexy.

I know at least one person who knew nothing of BSD but was impressed
by the Berkeley connection.

His main Sun hard drive had died, and though the other drive was
working, he couldn't boot the machine.  I installed NetBSD on the
other drive, and even got his Sun binaries (like Mathematica) to
work again (with a bit of help from the NetBSD lists).

On seeing the boot-up messages he said "Oh, this stuff was done at
Berkeley?"  So I gave a short history of BSD.  He was more than happy
with the performance: he thought it felt faster than his old SunOS.
(This was an ancient machine which was probably slower than a 486, but
it worked and it had a nice monitor, so he didn't want to get rid of
it.)