Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 15:54:51 -0500
From:      Jerry Dunham <dunham@dunham.org>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>, cal@rushe.aero.org, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Michael Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, James Diefenderfer <james@worldly.org>
Subject:   Re: Still No FreeBSD

On Tue, 13 June 2000 at 13:10:09 +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> G'day James :)
>
> Hey I'm certainly no expert on this stuff, but there's no way I'd even try
> installing
> ANY unix in a laptop unless it used really basic videocard / soundcard
> /network
> card etc. For some reason laptop designers seem to feel its obligatory to
> dredge up
> the weirdest bits for their products .... certainly all the ones I've looked
> at had
> oddball rubbish componentry like SiS video, unknown weirdo soundcards, &
> something like those "broken even when new"  RealTek NIC's, etc etc  that
> are
> difficult enough to get working properly even in Win98 !!!!
>
> I guess a lot depends on ones philosophy ..... if you are like certain geeks
> of my
> acquaintance you may well appreciate a challenge, however what I want most
> times
> is the simplest possible way to get the thing working properly.
>
>  Lots of things are probably "do-able" by experts, but virtually impossible
> for newbies.
> Whilst I do occasionally "have a go" at installations in borderline
> machines, 90% of the
> time its just not worth the aggro .... far easier to assemble a system with
> nice standard
> (and easily obtainable) bits like Intel CPU, S3 / ATI video, SB16 sound, SMC
> /
> 3-com / Intel NIC that work in virtually all operating systems. Other bits
> *might* work,
> but the only way to know is put the time in & see what happens. I'm usually
> very short
> on time so as far as I'm concerned those el junko taiwanese garbage generic
> disasters
> are best left in the shop.
>
> I thought there was a hardware compatibility list somewhere ..... or was it
> just a list
> of suggested bits & pieces by one of the FreeBSD guru's (Jordan himself as I
> recall)??
> ... whatever it is / was I'm certain it contained well known breeds of
> components. My
> only objection was the recommendation for Matrox videocards, and that simply
> because
> (at least in OZ) one needs to mortgage the house to buy one. I've found ATI
> ones give
> virtually the same result at something like 20% of the cost.

FWIW, Dell notebooks have historically used a lot of the very components
you seem to like, though you might need to be careful to make sure a
particular one has the combination you need.  Until recently most Dells
used NeoMagic video (once a problem, but no longer), but they've been
switching over to ATI.  SoundBlaster audio was replaced by some Crystal
Audio thing, though I think I saw a third supplier recently.  SMC and
3COM NICs have been typical for the built-in E-net in docks.  Non-PCMCIA
E-net in the notebook itself has not been available in Dells, though that
has recently changed for the Inspiron line.

I know less about them, but I believe Fujitsu and at least some IBM note-
books are FreeBSD-friendly as well from what I've heard.  I've read a lot
of problem stories involving Compaq notebooks.  Considering their mixed
parentage, I'd expect HP notebooks to be a mixed bag.  At least some
Sonys seem to work well with FreeBSD, but I've read too little about
Gateway to hazard a guess.

One that's guaranteed NOT to work with FreeBSD is the iBook.   :-)

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD                (512)335-0674 (H)
jdunham@fc.net                                           jerry@dunham.org

  To vacillate, or not to vacillate, that is the question ... or is it?