Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 14:54:41 -0600
From:      Brett Rabe <brett@uswest.net>
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu
Cc:        npp@neg-micon.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: async fs?

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 12:23:38 EST, chuckr@Glue.umd.edu wrote:
>On 17 Nov, Nicolai Petri wrote:
>> I read something about mounting a drive in async mode, I wondered if this
>> will give me a performance increase on my proxy server.. And is it possible
>> to do it on all filesystems ??
>>
>Are you aware that losing your system while you are running async is
>usually fairly safe (often you lose no files, or if you were very busy
>doing disk activity, maybe a few), but if you are mounted async, you
>could possibly lose much, much more?  It'll certainly increase
>performance, but you'd better be willing to pay the price.

Sure, you increase your risk of damage in the event of a system
failure.

But it's definitely worth it in certain cases. For example, I
switch all of my news servers' spool filesystems -- spool only --
to async for the duration of the nightly expire. It dramatically
speeds up the expire time, and the risk is acceptable. If I
lose one news machine for the length of time it takes me to
re-newfs and populate the machine... big deal. We've done this
for nearly a year without ever experiencing a total failure
of the filesystem.

Once in that year the machine crashed during the expire, and
aside from a rather lengthy fsck, everything recovered just fine.

Brett

---
Brett Rabe                                   Email : brett@uswest.net
Systems Administrator - !nteract Services    Phone : 612.664.3078
600 Stinson Blvd.                            Pager : 612.613.2549
Minneapolis, MN USA 55413                    Fax   : 612.664.4770

      If you aren't the lead dog, the view is always the same.