Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 1996 17:22:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jacob Suter <jsuter@bsd.intrastar.net>
To:        Thomas J Balfe <tbalfe@tioga.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IRC Network

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Thomas J Balfe wrote:

> Some FreeBSD friends and I have formed something we call BSDNet, it's an
> irc network that we use instead of EFNet after much frustration with it
> inherent lag and splits. We are looking to expand the network. It is
> completely free.

Sounds good..  what are your requirements?

> If you are waiting for your EFNet C/N or you want an replacement for
> EFNet as we did, simply write and we can issue a C/N to BSDNet. The only
> restriction is that we don't allow any SysV type servers.

Good idea.. SysV would waste the BSD in the name :)

> That shouldn't be a problem, you're already subscribed to freebsd-isp and
> know what works and what doesn't. I look forward to hearing from FreeBSD
> based ISPs and ISPs that enjoy their FreeBSD system and want an irc server
> connection to a BSD oriented irc network.

Sounds spiffy.  Trying to deal with EFnet is a nightmare..

> If you want to try it out to see which server is closest to you, grab the
> ircii port or package and /server irc.tioga.com, then /join #freebsd,
> you'll find us there.

I'm here, and it looks good.  I'd probibly try to use my 386DX/40 FreeBSD
machine as the server on my 56K network (about 10% used imcoming, 2%
outgoing usage right now normally)..

Oh, well, I think you are online....  Damn, you went to go watch Wings :P

TTYL
JS