Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:21:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Attempt to relicense BSD code under the GPL

> This is not only absurd (because the GPL *is* a barrier to OS
> R&D) but also illegal, because it conflicts with the licensing
> provisions of the BSD code which has been incorporated into the
> package.

The conflict is an artifact of the GPL, not of the BSD license.

In fact, it's possible to "copyleft" BSD licensed code, as has
been demonstrated by the Sendmail and BSD DB code with the
sendmail license and the "sleepycat" license, respectively.

> P.S. -- Perhaps it is time to add a clause to the BSD license used
> in FreeBSD specifically prohibiting relicensing of that code, or
> derivative works, under the GPL.

I've previously suggested adding a "poison pill", either like
the SSLeay license immutability clause (which would be onerous
to a number of potential commercial uses of the code -- a bad
thing), or a less restrictive:

5. This software and derivative works thereof are prohibited from
   being licensed under terms that require the distribution of
   the source code for this software or derivative works thereof.

This *really* needs consideration by Jordan and others in charge
of the licensing.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---