Date:      Thu, 25 May 2006 23:10:50 +0200
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Walt Pawley <walt@wump.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: some thoughts on port docs

--=-3qHRaaCnk/kR0ROPcha/

Walt Pawley p=ED=B9e v =E8t 25. 05. 2006 v 13:50 -0700:
> On the page ...
>=20
> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefi=
le-distfiles.html>
>=20
> ... under the subheading ...
>=20
> 5.4.2 MASTER_SITES
>=20
> ... it says ...
>=20
> These variables are defined in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.sites.mk.
> There are new entries added all the time, so make sure to check
> the latest version of this file before submitting a port.
>=20
> ... which is just fine ... as far as it goes.
>=20
> IMHO, telling people to be sure they check something without
> telling them how, or at least linking to how, is poor form. I
> understand that old hands don't need this but new hands do and
> that's largely who good documentation is needed for.

Checking means opening /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.sites.mk and scrolling down and
back up.  What's hard here?

> On the page ...
>=20
> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefi=
le-depend.html>
>=20
> ... under the subheading ...
>=20
> 5.7.1 LIB_DEPENDS
>=20
> ... it says ...
>=20
> Note: The lib part is a regular expression which is being
> looked up in the ldconfig -r output. Values such as intl.[5-7]
> and intl are allowed. The first pattern, intl.[5-7], will match
> any of: intl.5, intl.6 or intl.7. The second pattern, intl,
> will match any version of the intl library.
>=20
> ... which, I suspect, is correct enough, I guess, but isn't it
> the case that a value for the lib part of intl.[5-7] would also
> match things like intlX5 or intl/7?

Even if it was true, I prefer intl.[5-7] over intl\.[5-7] in the sake of
general readability.

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

May your arrow always find its mark.

--=-3qHRaaCnk/kR0ROPcha/
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_podepsan=E1?= =?iso-8859-2?Q?_=E8=E1st?=
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_zpr=E1vy?=

--=-3qHRaaCnk/kR0ROPcha/--