Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:43:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        gbnaidu@123india.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from Ver 4.0 to ver 4.1 STABLE

On 10 Dec 2000 gbnaidu@123india.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need some help regarding the upgradation. Currently my system is
> running FreeBSD ver 4.0 installed using CD. Now I would like to
> upgrade it to ver 4.1 STABLE.
>
> I am planning to synchronize my local source tree with ver4.1 sources.
> Iam using cvsup for this. Here is my supfile: ---------- start of

  If you've never done this before, use
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile and just chnge the Cvsup server.
The file you've supplied here probably won't do what you want.

> I am trying to sync only the /usr/src directory.

  That is all cvsup ever does.

> Can I use a separate directory for sources rather than the standard
> /usr/src and upgrade my system?

  I suppose it is possible, but using cvsup on existing tree is much
faster, as only changed files are downloaded.

  If you have a problem with the "buildworld" step, there is no reason to
try to go back to the 4.0-RELEASE source code, since you are already
running 4.0-RELEASE you don't need to compile it.

Tom
Uniserve