Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:23:09 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Weber-Fahr <wefa@hektor.unicom.de>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/2763: sysinstall dumps core when writing disklabel

>Number:         2763
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       sysinstall dumps core when writing disklabel
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.1.6.1-STABLE i386
>Environment:

Plain Vanilla System: 486DX2/66,ISA,Adaptec 1542C,SCSI-CD,2 SCSI-Drives
FreeBSD 2.1.6 from CD already installed on sd0, small dos partition on
both drives

	tried to disklabel second disk, as described in FAQ
	partition(slice) editor works. Left with W key.
	Chosen both NONE and BOOTMGR for sd1 (same effect).
	Then entered label editor and created a new partition
	with all remeining space. Determined mount point (/usr/var).
	Then W key. -> Some Disk Activity -> little Window appears
	"Copying initial device files" -> Segmentation fault (core)

>How-To-Repeat:

	see above. Did it multiple times, same result.

>Fix:

	use disklabel -re sd1 . I hate that one.