Date:      Sun, 08 Apr 2001 15:58:27 +0200
From:      Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
To:        "Joseph Gleason" <clash@fireduck.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server MB suggestions?

> Some of the 3ware products will take 8 drives.  If you stock it with 75gb
> drives that is 600gb.  If you need more than that, I guess this probably
> isn't the solution for you.

That gives you many Mb, but not high performance. 9Gb disks can be to big for
some applications.

> The performance on with these sort of setups are really good at a great
> price.
>
> # dd if=/dev/twed1 of=/dev/null bs=32k count=40960
> 40960+0 records in
> 40960+0 records out
> 1342177280 bytes transferred in 37.895167 secs (35418165 bytes/sec)
>
> This is a fairly heavily loaded system using a 3ware card for RAID-10 and
> IBM 24GB drives (7200 ata66 I think).

This is not the performance, this is the transfer rate. That is almost never a
problem, seek times is. But that is hard to measure, so people are only looking
at transfer rates.

SCSI vs IDE till start to be different if you have a lot of simultaneous io
(If the disk are equal apart from the interface).  This may have changed on
the newest disks an controllers, provided that the OS has support for tagged
queuing on IDE.