Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2002 10:58:14 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSD's edge over Linux (was: Daemon's Advocate article)

On Thursday,  5 December 2002 at 13:31:47 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> BSD has long enjoyed performance and stability advantages over Linux, but as
> Grog remarks in the recent DA article, Linux is catching up.
>
> Are there any areas where BSD will more than likely *always* have an
> advantage over Linux?  I know licensing is one, and with the current global
> economy downturn, that could become more significant in the IT sector.  But
> other than that, what do we have that inherently holds a sustainable lead
> over Linux?  Or will it simply always be a case of 'BSD is different, but
> not necessarily better?'

Always is a long time.  There's nothing that BSD has that Linux
couldn't get if it really wanted.  The least likely change would be
for Linux to change to a BSD license.  Everything else could change.
The Linux kernel is still far less mature than the BSD kernel, which
gives it the flexibility to change for the better.  We've seen
multiple borrowings from BSD; that could continue.

I'd prefer to look at it from the perspective of the distant future.
What will operating systems look like in 10 years time?  In 20?  20
years ago, 4.2BSD was released.  10 years ago we saw the first free
BSD operating systems.  There's a good chance that BSD and Linux will
still be around in 20 years, but what will they look like?

Greg