Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 15:36:56 -0500
From:      John De Boskey <jwd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Arch List <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ftpd ESTALE recovery patch

----- Dag-Erling Smorgrav's Original Message -----
> John De Boskey <jwd@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> >    In a busy cluster, a generated file being handed out by
> > ftp is failing due to an ESTALE condition. The following
> > patch fixes the problem. Failure to open the file is also
> > logged when -l is specified twice (see ftpd(8)).
>
> I don't see the point of this.  The problem you are experiencing is
> probably caused by invalid assumptions in your setup, though I can't

I understand your comment, though I have to disagree with it.

> comment further without more details about what, exactly, you are
> trying to do.

Here's a timeline:

T(0) - On machine A - create new file in /tmp (/tmp/file)
T(1) - On machine A - cp newfile nfsserver:/path/file.new
T(2) - On machine A - mv nfsserver:/path/file.new nfsserver:/path/file
T(3) - On machine B - ftp connection received
                      get nfsserver:/path/file
                      (get fails randomly without patch)

where Time(3) is guarenteed to be greater than Time(4), though
the delta between them can be approaching (but not equal to)
zero.

Basically, we have work nodes 1 through 28, using 2 netapp
fileservers for data storage. As we continue to increase the
throughput capabilities of the system, the ESTALE return happens
more consistently. Ftpd is not the 1st tool we've had to fix.

I hope the above helps explain in more detail the issue at hand.

Thanks!
John