Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 21:22:46 -0500
From:      Nick <nmanisca@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   using ahc instead of ncr

No problem here, just an observation:

I have an AS200 (has an onboard 53c810 controller) with
an ultra wide scsi disk.  I have been using this uw disk
on this fast/narrow controller without much difficulty
for a while now.

I decided to stick to my adaptec 2940uw in the AS200.
I connected it to my uw disk.  Well as I am sure you
all know, SRM doesn't support this controller on my
system.  So I just put my own kernel on the kern.flp
image.  Now I have a boot disk for my Alpha ;)

Anyway, what I was getting to was that I have noticed
that my system seems MUCH faster now than it did before.

X and enlightenment loads up in just a couple of seconds
and everything is quite speedy.

I heard there is a Tekram controller (390F I think?) that
has a 53c895 chip set on it.  I think that it is supported
under SRM but accessed as an 810 only.  It seems like this
would be a way to still maintain SRM bootability while still
being able to uw using the kernel's driver.

Has anyone used one of these boards in an AS200?

Nick Maniscalco