Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 00:49:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS T2P4 and Adaptec 2940AU

> Hi,
>
> are the 2940UW (ie ultra wide) controllers also affected?  By this I mean
> have they been "replaced" by a cheaper version, and will also dry up
> in the channels?

So far no, as the AIC7860 chip used in the 2940UA does not have the
``wide'' ability needed on the 2940UW.  Though that doesn't mean
adaptec is not working on another AIC7xxx to lower manufacturing cost
on 2940UW cards.

> on another topic, what would be the "hot" SCSI drive to purchase right now:
>
>  high speed (7200 rpm, wide, maybe ultra, maybe not)
>  high reliability
>  2GB or less (I want to ccd some, dont need 4GB x 4 drives of storage)

Again, we (the consumer) are getting screwed by the manufactures, most
if not all of them have stopped 2G and smaller SCSI drive production,
and shifted the bottom of the IDE curve to 2G.  The smallest _current_
production SCSI drive I can buy is 4G.

1G and 2G drives can still be found in the channel, but most of these
are OEM overruns and/or excess inventory liqudations (at premium
prices since the high volume folks know they are a scarce product.)

If your serious about 16G of 1 or 2G drives finger one of my
accounts and give me a call, I can go on a dig for you (Right
now I am pretty sure I could land you 16 Quantum XP31070W's
at a <$250/drive.  These are not ultra, but are 7200RPM.)  I
could probably find 8 of the 2G versions, though I don't recall
seeing any of them on the spot market sheets this week.

> what is the current status of the RAID driver you were working on?

Shelved due to lack of time, caused by manufactures who keep me
running around trying to make their latest cost reductions work :-(.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD