Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 22:01:44 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Greg Quinlan <greg@qmpgmc.ac.uk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finally (Re: Memory leaks & kernel panic/reboot & ahc reboot)

> The problem which I  had reported, exactly, with the precise kernel panic
> message, did not get a response. That 's right not one! So many

Ok, lets handle this in a way that should get you some helpful responce.
But first you need to be helpful.

You need to compile a new kernel.  See http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/
if you do not know how to do that.  At the point in your kernel building
where you would normally run ``config KERNEL_NAME'', do ``config -rg
KERNEL_NAME'' instead.  Also note the extra step below when installing:

    cp GENERIC FOO
    vi FOO  (make any changes and exit)
    config -r -g FOO
    cd ../../compile/FOO
    make depend
    make
    cp -p kernel kernel.debug
    strip -r kernel
    make install

Before you reboot to use the new kernel, edit /etc/rc.conf and add a line
simular to:

    dumpdev="/dev/wd0s2b"

Then the next time you have a panic, the information necessary to debug
the problem wil be available.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)