Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 14:12:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -current failed

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > Chuck Robey wrote:
> > >

> > > Doing a make world automatically does the make obj for you.  Make cleandir
> > > kills them.  If there isn't a obj directory avaialble when the make
> > > starts, then the obj's fall into the source directories.  One very common
> > > error is the do make clean, and think your objs are really clean.  They
> > > aren't, the .depend files survive, and cause grief.
> > >

> > Attached is a patch to /usr/share/mk/bsd.dep.mk that I use to get rid
> > of the .depend file when make clean is done.  I didn't commit it b/c I
> > don't think everybody (or even the majority) wants this, but you
> > might give it a try if you like the functionality.
>
> Ugly hack, that is what ``make cleandir'' does for you, thus your patch
> is not needed.  ``make cleandist'' tears done and rebuilds the obj tree
> and links.

That's not really true.  His patch just causes the make clean to delete
the .depend files, and you can immediately do a make depend/make all.  If
you do that following a make cleandir, you end up with object files
scattered through your sources, because the make cleandir wiped away your
obj directories.

I'm not saying that with some forethought, you couldn't use make cleandir,
because I use it myself.  I'm saying that making things more complicated
is causing people to make errors, which are being posted here, and those
errors could be painlessly eliminated via the patch.  What's the gain in
not doing the clean of the .depend files?  Just rebuilding them.  Seems
like a fair trade to me.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |