Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 2020 08:34:40 +0000
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=26S_-_Krasznai_Andr=E1s?= <Krasznai.Andras@mands.hu>
To:        "x11@FreeBSD.org" <x11@FreeBSD.org>, "current@FreeBSD.org" <current@FreeBSD.org>, "stable@FreeBSD.org" <stable@FreeBSD.org>, "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: users of drm-legacy-kmod or drm drivers from base

Hi

I am experiencing the following: Firefox, Chrome, LibreOffice freezes my Fr=
eeBSD-CURRENT after a few seconds (the disk is used intensivey but nor keyb=
oard nor mouse is working, I can move the mouse pointer but nothing happens=
 when I click with any of the buttons), nothing is written on the screen. A=
s the mouse seems to not work I am not able to start any other application =
after starting the above programs. before starting those programs xterm, cl=
ang, etc is running correctly.

Ctrl-Alt-Del kills the xorg server, and the laptop returns to the character=
 based screen. I can start X again with startx, and  it behaves in the same=
 manner.=20

A week ago when the above first happened then (as it was recommended in pkg=
-message) recompiling xorg-server with the FIXDRM option corrected the prob=
lem, but as FIXDRM is now removed I am not able to use those applications.

I tried to force the usage of dri3 as recommended, but did not help.

The system is a Lenovo T510 laptop, Intel I5-M520 CPU, integrated Intel Gra=
phics , FreeBSD-CURRENT #358833, ports installed from pkg repository.=20

best regards

Andras Krasznai

-----Eredeti =FCzenet-----
Felad=F3: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-current@f=
reebsd.org] Meghatalmaz=F3 Niclas Zeising
K=FCldve: 2020. m=E1rcius 8. 20:34
C=EDmzett: x11@FreeBSD.org; current@FreeBSD.org; stable@FreeBSD.org; ports@=
FreeBSD.org
T=E1rgy: users of drm-legacy-kmod or drm drivers from base

[ This is cross-posted across several mailing lists for maximum=20
visibility.  Please respect reply-to and keep replies to x11@FreeBSD.org=20
. Thank you! ]

In order to improve support for the new lkpi based graphics drivers=20
(drm-kmod) and to improve the graphics stack we have switched mesa to=20
prefer DRI3 over DRI2.  This was done in r528071.  For those using=20
drm-kmod, this should improve performance somewhat, and more importantly=20
alleviate the use of the FIXDRM option (now removed) in xorg-server.

However, for those of you using graphics/drm-legacy-kmod or the drm=20
drivers in base, this change can cause issues.  If you are experiencing=20
problems when running OpenGL applications, you can force the use of the=20
DRI2 backend.

To force mesa to use DRI2, set the environment variable=20
LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE to 1 before starting any OpenGL application.  The=20
easiest way to accomplish this is by adding it to either your shell=20
startup file or ~/.xinitrc.

As an example, for users of [t]csh, put
setenv LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE 1
in ~/.cshrc.

For users of bourne type shells (sh, bash, ksh, zsh, ...) instead put
export LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=3D1
in ~/.profile

If you are using these legacy drivers, I'm also very interested in=20
hearing what issues you are facing that prevents you from using the new=20
lkpi based drivers.

Regards
--=20
Niclas Zeising