Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 05:39:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        keichii@peorth.iteration.net
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony VAIO, winmodems, etc. (was Re: ftpd bug)

> | > Winmodem can't be helped.
> |
> | Yes it can; I've sent a copy of "Sourcer" and the drivers to a
> | German friend of mine to document, if it isn't too big a task.
>
> And I will wait....while I use my wavelan card :)

The encryption capable base station and cards cost way more,
and still require a system between the base station and the
net.  The Apple one will do dial on demand and NAT (without
firewall), asuming you have a Winodws machine to configure it.

> I can read DVD data.  The DVD playing *can* be done via DeCSS,
> but I ..um...am afraid of lawsuits, etc.

As I said: to get the NeoMagic chip in the Sony working, you
have to disable almost all acceleration, which makes the DeCSS
approach pretty useless.

> | > Many people have had trouble installing drivers in WinXX.
> | Not me.  But I've done protected mode work on both Windows 9x
> | and on NT, so I'm probably an exception, being clued and all
> | that... ;-).
>
> For example, some newer ATI video cards do not have drivers in Win2k.

You can use the generic drivers for that.  But you know, just
as there are no Win2K drivers for things that have sat on
shelves or in warehoses too long, there are no FreeBSD drivers,
either.  There are only a few cards where the 3D acceleration
works under FreeBSD, and there's very little software that can
take advantage of it.

> | > Lucent seems to have released a winmodem driver for linux.
> | There is also the "linmodem" stuff, but neither supports the
> | Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax RTAD PCI Modem.
>
> Modems? bah! :)

I can tell from your surname capitalization that you are from
a country that pays mesage units for local calls.  In the U.S.,
we pay a flat rate for local phone service, and call our ISP
without paying connect time charges to the phone company.  But
I can see where modems might not be the most popular thing in
Japan.

> | config?               APM not currently working
>
> Mine works well, fxp0/usb resumes and comes back up.
> Suspend-to-disk suspend-to-memory both work.
> APM sometimes doesn't report the right battery time. However,
> the battery percentage is always correct

Good news; I may spend some time hacking this on my machine.

> | broken                Fn-key keyboard based sound, brightness, monitor,
> |               sleep, and suspend mode controls
>
> That's a windows driver thing, neither does the JogDial work.

The JogDial is a FreeBSD driver issue; I'd be happy if I could make
it scroll my Netscape window when surfing.

The "Windows driver thing" for brightness, etc., shows a copyright
by Phoenix; it's part of the BIOS.  Accessing that is supposed to
be a fault-to-BIOS thing, like the external system management stuff
first introduced by Cyrix (which also doesn't work on FreeBSD).

> | config?               Touchpad single/double click is overly sensitive
>
> You can change that via a moused undocumented option.

More data, please?

> | config?               No third button (can touchpad be discriminated?)
>
> I just set my 3-button emulation to have a 500ms delay.

On many laptops, the touchpad "button" generates real seperate
events that happen to be mapped into button1.  If FreeBSD were
to distinguish these,button1 could be the touchpad "tap",
button2 the left button, and button3 the right button.  Or even
uses the JogDial "click".  The pojnt is, it's nearly impossible
to scroll windows in X and do other useful things without either
remapping the system to be different from all others defaults,
remapping all your systems for crippled mice.

> | untried               Firewire (no FreeBSD video apps)
> | untried               IR (no FreeBSD stuff for IR printers)
> | untried               USB (no USB keyboard arrived via UPS, yet)
>
> USB mouse/keyboard/printer works.

Also good news.

> The memory stick slot works as a umass0->da0 device and controllable
> via camcontrol.

Have a PCG-XG; different animal.  8-).

> | Has anyone used the optional R/W CDROM to burn a CD on one of
> | these things yet?  Network backups are a pain.
>
> Btw, the PCMCIA CDROM/CDRW/DVD-ROM can all boot from CD's.
> There is an option in the BIOS (push ctrl-f2 during boot) to
> do that.  Even USB floppy boots FreeBSD thanks to JHB.

This thing has an optional internal one (PCGA-CDRWX1/A, CD-RW
Drive); no need to use an extrernal, even if I trusted it.  8-).

My next big adventure is going to be the docking station,
particularly the PCMCIA, and it's going to not support the
additional audio and the fiber optic port, I'm pretty sure.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.