Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:15:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        j@vastmind.org (Jason Spencer)
Cc:        gsutter@zer0.org (Gregory Sutter), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL rant number 31391 (was: Jordan Hubbard on Darwin)

> Qualcomm maintains a major POP server which is free and open-source.

Actually, it's poorly maintained.  It has a number of serious bugs,
which make life difficult for people writing POP clients, starting
with the way the EOL looks following a terminating "." after a RETR.
Patches have been submitted for this several time.

Unless your code allows for this, it may have a hard time RETR'ing
mesages from it.

[ ... "ad-ware" ... ]

I have no problem with their mail client distribution model; I
would changes dome defaults and some features of the client,
were I in charge of it (like the line wrap thing and the use of
non-standard HTML), but these are all cosmetic or other minor
defects.

[ ...source availability for the client ... ]

The only thing that makes me want this is the lack of support
for the client on some platforms, e.g. FreeBSD.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.