Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 17:12:06 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD CURRENT <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: trouble booting

Matthew Thyer wrote:

> I always make a new kernel, boot on it and then make world.

	I'm curious about this. This isn't a dig, although my incredulity might
make it seem so. Every piece of documentation I've seen says to do it
the other way around. Make world first, then build kernel, then boot.
Experience tells me that this is a good thing, and there have been
numerous changes made in the past that require you to build the world
first (like ipfw).

	So the question is, why do you build the kernel first? What advantage
do you think it will provide?

Curious,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest