Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 2009 21:42:40 +0000
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 1405 on FreeBSD

>> - SiI3124-based - fast and functional. It is actually PCI-X one, but
>> there are many boards with built-in PCIe bridges.

Do any of these fit in a x1 slot?

>> - two SiI3132-based (Adaptec 1420SA and many others) - as cheap PCIe x1
>> alternative (max 150MB/s per card). These two better supported with new
>> siis(4) driver on 8.0, but should work on 7.x with ata(4), haven't
>> looked lower.

I have the Masscool XWT-PCIE10 (USD20.99 plus shipping from newegg)
3132 card.  Works fine on FreeBSD/amd64 7.1.  Has both internal and
external connectors with jumpers to select which are active.  Only 2
drives per card though.   :-(

>> - First generation of SiI chips (SiI3114). They are quite old - SATA1
>> and PCI, but they are long-time supported and they take all possible
>> from PCI bus, and in 66MHz PCI-X slot can give even more. But I have
>> heard some negative comments about them.

I have a 3512 card in a NetBSD box and it is slow but otherwise works fine.
I have read various complaints about 1st gen SiL chips with FreeBSD,
so do your homework before getting one for a FreeBSD box.  Perhaps the
new drivers in 8.0 will fix these problems?

>> - JMicron-based PCIe x1 adapters. They are cheap, AHCI-compatible and
>> not so bad, but limited by bus speed at about 180MB/s per card.

I have a couple of Syba JMB363 cards and they have been trouble from day 1.
If I plug them into the 2 PCIe x1 slots the box hangs in firmware.
Moving 1 to the x16 slot allows the machine to boot.  After a few months
both cards have lost a SATA port.  The JMB363 provide a PATA channel in
addition to the 2 SATA ports.  The PATA will connect at UDMA100, and reads
fine at that speed, but writes fail unless downgraded to UDMA66. (Yes with
the correct length 80 wire ribbon cable.)  When rebooting, sometimes one
of the cards doesn't show up.  Is there some way for FreeBSD to force a
proper full init of expansion cards when rebooting?  I've also seen a PCI
firewire card not get completely reinited when rebooting.  Has anyone had
good luck with a JMB363 card?  I might consider a JMB363 on a different
brand card.

Last time I searched, I couldn't find any PCIe x1 cards that supported
4 (or more) SATA drives.  The closest thing I could find was the JMB363
with 2 SATA plus 2 PATA.  (and of course PATA has various fundamental
problems)  Has anyone found such a card?  Yes I know that an x1 slot
doesn't have enough bandwidth to run 4 drives at full speed, but x1 is
what I have.  They make PCI cards with at least 4 SATA ports and PCI
slots have even less bandwidth.  Port multipliers have the same problem.

>> What's about changing SATA1 with SATA2 - I think you won't notice any
>> difference. Most of disks are not so fast to congest SATA1, while

Conventional rotating disks are approaching 150.  Supposedly the
SSDs are already saturating 300.  600 is out, but not common yet.
The higher speeds would be very useful with port multipliers.
I haven't heard of any PMs with 600 yet though.

>> other bonuses like NCQ are not supported by 6.4 any way.

> oh crap. No NCQ ?

7.x doesn't support NCQ either.  :-(  I'm waiting impatiently for
8.0 to come out. as I need NCQ.  Speaking of which, I've read that
some controller/disk combinations have problems with NCQ?  Is there
a way to turn NCQ on/off on a per-disk basis?