Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 08:20:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/41104: Stale comment removal from pccardd(8)

The following reply was made to PR docs/41104; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To: jhb@FreeBSD.org
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org,
	hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:19:23 -0600 (MDT)

 In message: <XFMail.20020729111003.jhb@FreeBSD.org>
             John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> writes:
 :
 : On 29-Jul-2002 M. Warner Losh wrote:
 : > In message: <XFMail.20020729081434.jhb@FreeBSD.org>
 : >             John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> writes:
 : >: Unfortunately using KLD's does not fix this problem and it is still an
 : >: issue.  I can't eject my cardbus rl0 card w/o my laptop locking up for
 : >: exactly this reason.  This patch should not be committed unless Warner
 : >: (imp@, cc'd) approves.
 : >
 : > Yes, the comments in the pccardd man page are correct (eg, that's why
 : > things are they way they are).  However, once the underlying problems
 : > in the kernel were fixed, pccardd wasn't updated to be less smart
 : > about the resources a card uses.  Likely it should read:
 : >
 : >       The primary reasons are historical.
 :
 : Ah, ok.
 :
 : > What happens in NEWCARD with a rl card aren't relevant to this
 : > discussion :-) The reason that you can't eject the rl0 card has to do
 : > with something else (likely an ISR that doesn't properly terminate
 : > when the card is gone or a detach routine that's minorly bogus).
 :
 : Well, it's the same behavior. :-P  The rl(4) driver doesn't allow for
 : devices to go away and gets stuck in a loop spinning forever waiting
 : for a card reset to succeed and the reset keeps failing for obvious
 : reasons.  Completely hangs the machine.  *sigh*

 Yes.  I've seen it succeed for me.  any chance you can get me a
 traceback of where it is happening?

 Warner