Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 01:04:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      rupp@coredump.at
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install problem on AS200 4/166

> I'm afraid that I have to agree with Drew; this sounds a lot like a
> CPU overheading problem.  Are you sure you haven't tried to overclock
> this machine?  A 166 will run at 200 or 233 for a short period of time
> under install-like load before overheating and shutting down.

I'm sure it's not overclocked since I bought the machine refurbished.

The machine has been up for weeks at home with VMS (with no load).
Since the install desaster two weaks ago it is running Linux again at
work, as test mailserver. Current uptime under load: 10 days.

> You may also have out-of-spec memory; I've seen similar symptoms in
> that case in other AXP systems.

The 4x64MB 36bit are according to spec.

If you wonder why I waited two weeks before asking about the problem:
I had enough real problems at work :-/

Could it be that FreeBSD needs a certain (minimum) firmware version?
It's just a wild guess, but we had a *weird* firmware related problem
on one of the ES40s and I'm paranoid in that respect now...

Wolfgang