Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:55:57 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        NOC-IPAD <sysadmin@greeves.mfn.org>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'rafie@innocent.com'" <rafie@innocent.com>
Subject:   Re: Availability & Cost

On Thursday,  9 July 1998 at  7:03:31 -0500, NOC-IPAD wrote:

>> Ah.  At first I didn't understand what you meant, since your machine
>> claims it's 6 am.  But you're right, and your machine is wrong: it's
>> just past 1 am
>
> Just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read!

I don't.  I'm especially sceptical about this thread.  The fact that
your machine is *still* running the wrong time doesn't make me more
likely to believe your other claims.

>>> and at the site (I seem to recall it was in Texas, if not, it is
>>> *still* not exactly "primetime").
>
>> Which site?  wcarchive and freefall are both in California.
>
> Which would put their local time at 2300 and the local time on the east coast at
> 0200.  Considering that the US comprises the *vast* majority of internet traffic,
> you are proving my point - this is one of the best possible time to look at this
> from the perspective of wuarchive/freefall, yet, they are still pushing 2700+ users
> across their ftp connection.

I don't know what you're trying to derive from this.

> <traceroutes snipped>
> Ive *never* seen traceroutes this good, to be perfectly honest.  In fact, I am used
> to seeing delays anywhere from 1000ms to 5000ms at the MCI connection.

So where's yours?

>> On the other hand, looking at you, we see:
>
>> === grog@freefall (/dev/ttypa) /d/users/grog 7 -> traceroute greeves.mfn.org
>> traceroute to greeves.mfn.org (204.238.179.3), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
>> 1  gate-free.cdrom.com (204.216.27.17)  1.430 ms  1.750 ms  1.509 ms
> <snip>
>> 14  * * *
>> 15  * * *
>>
>> In other words,
>>
>> 1.  You don't use MCI at all.
>> 2.  Within crl.net, the speeds are fine.
>> 3.  There are a lot of dropouts in sprintlink.net, but the speeds
>>    still seem acceptable
>> 4.  Your machine doesn't appear to be connected.
>
> Greg, you've been in the business *how many* years?  You can't spot a firewall
> yet?  C'mon, gimme a break!

I did say "appear".  I'm not interested in why I couldn't get any
further, I was just assuming that 14 was your network.  What about the
meat of this statement?  Where's your claimed MCI?  What's your view
of the net?  Do these response times match yours?

>> I'd like to see your view of this.
>>
>> Which machine?
>>
> wuarchive.

wuarchive has nothing to do with the FreeBSD project.

> I stand by my statements.  They are not wrong, they are observations made
> as an educated "user" of wuarchive/crl.  They are just as valid as your observations
> of prime performance.

You appear to be talking about the wrong system.

>>> they are not meant that way. However, your like or dislike of these
>>> do not invalidate them.  When the user count is high, response time
>>> stinks to high heaven.
>>
>> As I said at the beginning, you have brought no evidence of this.  I
>> get very good response time.
>
> You have brought no evidence of this either - sorry, a 2 block ftp at 2300
> does not count in my book.  Maybe a couple of hundred megs during prime
> time would convince me tho ;-)

OK, maybe somebody else will oblige.  I'm getting tired of this.

Greg