Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:26:51 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Geom project, limited preview...

In message <20020130001941.A1101@dhcp01.pn.xcllnt.net>, Marcel Moolenaar writes
:

>> Needless to say, the "taste" routine is able to examine the local
>> surroundings in detail, so for instance we can make the MBR look if
>> GPT already found this particular node and if so just give up.
>
>Hmmm... context sensitivity always messes up a good, clean design.
>Maybe a "bite and swallow" approach would be acceptable: Any medium
>that has a detected partitioning is blocked from further examination?
>In don't know to what extend this would work for nested partitions
>within Geom (if it would work at all)...

Geom is designed on the "FreeBSD: tools, not policies" dogma so
that decision is made inside the individual methods, not in the
framework around them.

I think that for disk-partitioning the DWIM/POLA principle should
prevail.  Considering life as it is, it is probably too early to
decide exactly how we do that, I expect us to change our mind a
few times even when we do make it up :-)