Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 2003 11:26:15 -0800
From:      Orion Hodson <orion@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mac Newbold <newbold@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESS Technology Allegro-1 with 4.7-STABLE

/-- Mac Newbold wrote:

| My old Compaq box with an Allegro soundcard in the motherboard used to
| work fine (after a lot of work) under 4.0-RELEASE. Now under 4.7-STABLE,
| it doesn't work anymore, and won't play anything except system beeps. At
| one point I was also running 4.4-STABLE (and 4.6-STABLE, too I think),
| and it would occasionally give me "channel dead" messages, and would come
| back alive after a reboot sometimes.
|
| /dev/sndstat says:
| FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
| Installed devices:
| pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> at io 0x1400 irq 5 (4p/1r/0v channels duplex
| )
|
| I've been trying to play mp3's with mpg123, amp, etc., and have tried
| cat'ing wav files and other data at /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, etc. to no
| avail.
|
| Anyone have any pointers on what may be wrong or what I could do to get it
| working again?
|
| About the only possiblity I have been able to think of is that the work I
| did to get it going under 4.0-RELEASE may need to be partly or completely
| undone, now that the driver is included in -STABLE. But I didn't want to
| try anything without advice from Someone Who Knows.

I have no idea if anyone amongst the active sound committers has this
hardware: all of the other sound committers are pretty quiet of late.

Without knowing what your customizations were, it's impossible to say
whether they have any bearing on the situation, but if they addressed
specific issues it would have been good to get them into the tree.

If you are prepared to do some leg work, a good start now would be building
a kernel without your customizations and testing that.  If it fails, try
looking at the diffs of the past revisions on the RELENG_4 branch for the
driver and checking there, preferably with the specs in hand.

If you don't want to do the leg work, I'd suggest splashing out $10 on a
cheapo PCI card (als4000, cs4281, cmi8738).

Cheers
- Orion